Isms - we did some ism review. See assignment at the bottom of this post.
Thursday we reviewed chapters 4,5, and 6. We read 7 in class, and ch 8-9 at home.
Friday we reviewed 8-9 . We read chapters 10 and 11 in class. Chapter 12 is to be read at home.
Read ch 10-11 in class, 12 at home.
If you need to review the -isms, see the Camus ppt on the webpage.
Pick the scenario that fits the following isms:
Determinism, mysticism, pessimism
Hedonism, nihilism, pragmatism,
1. We need to have security people around us to protect us from those bad elements in society. People have no choice but to do what their nature tells them they are programmed to do. We are all programmed to act in a certain way. Some good..... some bad.
2. If we spend less money on security, we can spend more money on enjoyable endeavors. If we waste money on security, people will still do what they want because the joy of doing their desires outweighs the pain of later punishment.
3. I am not for or against security. All I am saying is let’s spend more money on security and if people behave better then we can increase the amount we spend. Eventually we will find if security is a good idea.
4. We could figure out a way to get people to behave well, but then something will come along a destroy that. If we spend more money on security, people will just resist it more. Then we will have to spend more money on security. We should just trust people to behave well. It’s really too bad we can’t.
5. We could just figure out the right way to behave and what makes people tick. Are you kidding? That thought is so stupid. We could get security to help channel people the correct way. Are you ridiculous? I was joking. Who’s to say that security knows the way people should behave? Who’s to say that the way you want to act is wrong?
6. It may or may not be necessary to increase security. People learn right and wrong best by experiencing the world around them but I can’t take the chance that one might steal my things or destroy my chances at a strong future. We are here at school to educate ourselves so we can be successful in the world--- have a nice car, a nice job, vacation in the right places. This school needs to improve to make sure we are never like those pitiful people who have nothing.
7. We could spend a lot of money on the security personnel at this school. Or we could not. It is up to the individual to make the choice of how to live. The individual will make the decision on how to choose. It really doesn’t matter if there is more security people here or not. They could order me to go to class or get out of the halls but I always have that choice to accept what they are saying or not.
8. Security is not a question one needs to deal with at school. One should learn about things but a majority of one’s time should be spent in meditation. With an inward look, one may learn divine or eternal reality.